HPSP Question??!!

Posted
by LW95NS (New) New Student

Has 1 years experience.

Hi there, 

I submitted my application for the scholarship but haven't gotten a decision yet. I am curious though if anyone who has accepted or completed the HPSP program knows if the 1 year residency is paid or if you just receive a stipend? 

I was researching and to me it looked like you only receive a stipend as you are considered a trainee. 

Thank you! ?

MoOba

8 Posts

On 10/3/2021 at 3:34 PM, LW95NS said:

Hi there, 

I submitted my application for the scholarship but haven't gotten a decision yet. I am curious though if anyone who has accepted or completed the HPSP program knows if the 1 year residency is paid or if you just receive a stipend? 

I was researching and to me it looked like you only receive a stipend as you are considered a trainee. 

Thank you! ?

Hi, have you heard from the VA yet?  I applied in August 2021 as well. First I was placed on an "alternate" list, then I received an email this week that I have a pending offer. I don't know what's next after this. 

LW95NS

Has 1 years experience. 3 Posts

1 minute ago, MoOba said:

Hi, have you heard from the VA yet?  I applied in August 2021 as well. First I was placed on an "alternate" list, then I received an email this week that I have a pending offer. I don't know what's next after this. 

Hey so I just received the same email this morning and got this back from Scott Dixon: “You will get an official award notification once the selection committee chairmen approves the selections.” this was after asking when the aid would start if officially selected… so I guess we’ll have to wait and see! I’m curious what the background investigation entails that was talked about in the pending offer email. 

MoOba

8 Posts

2 minutes ago, LW95NS said:

Hey so I just received the same email this morning and got this back from Scott Dixon: “You will get an official award notification once the selection committee chairmen approves the selections.” this was after asking when the aid would start if officially selected… so I guess we’ll have to wait and see! I’m curious what the background investigation entails that was talked about in the pending offer email. 

Sounds great! Congratulations. I believe it's going to be a comprehensive background investigation. I once applied for a job as a TSA, and I filled out a very tedious e86 form for background investigation. It includes your locations, jobs, abroad trips, former names, criminal records, etc, for the last 10years. So I'm guessing it might be the same form. 

LW95NS

Has 1 years experience. 3 Posts

Ahh I see! Well this sounds like good news for us both! Congrats to you as well! I am curious how much time I would have to pay back as I graduate in December and I think I will only get aid to cover Summer and my last semester in the fall.. do you have any info on that? I thought I saw something about 18 months for each year of aid. Doesn’t really matter as I would like to be career VA nurse anyhow but I’m curious. 

MoOba

8 Posts

Wow! it's almost over.  I graduate in May 2023. It was supposed to be December, but I'm retaking a class that I failed in Fall (I don't know if this will affect my chances, but I hope not...LOL.).  From what I read somewhere, the time period is a minimum of 2years of stay in VA. 

MoOba

8 Posts

Hi, did you receive the award offer today?  I received mine about 3hours ago.