Public Club

Covid Omicron Variant

Posted

Specializes in Critical Care. Has 10 years experience.

It's only fair to point out that Biden is also racist AF.  (AF= as ... can't be mentioned on AN, because we're nurses and we don't swear, ever).

The Omicron variant has so far been detected in South Africa, Botswana, Israel, Belgium, Hong Kong, UK, Germany, Italy, and Czechia.  But of those countries the US has implemented travel bans on only two of those countries; South Africa and Botswana.  In addition to those two, travel bans have been enacted for eSwatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, and Zimbabwe, even though no cases of Omicron have been detected there.  

toomuchbaloney

Has 44 years experience. 8,356 Posts

Travel is restricted to and from unvaccinated countries?

Beerman, BSN

Has 12 years experience. 1,241 Posts

The travel ban doesn't make sense.  First, it needed to happen sooner, if you're going to do it.  And, as you mentioned it should be for all the countries where it's been detected.

The new variant is likely already here.  We are punishing the economy and people of South Africa when they are the ones who discovered it and passed their knowledge on to the rest of the world.

 

toomuchbaloney

Has 44 years experience. 8,356 Posts

1 hour ago, Beerman said:

The travel ban doesn't make sense.  First, it needed to happen sooner, if you're going to do it.  And, as you mentioned it should be for all the countries where it's been detected.

The new variant is likely already here.  We are punishing the economy and people of South Africa when they are the ones who discovered it and passed their knowledge on to the rest of the world.

 

Exactly the situation when Trump instituted a travel ban...Covid was already here.

Tweety, BSN, RN

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac. Has 30 years experience. 30,852 Posts

I think it's more of a knee jerk reaction than a racist one.  It's also one that isn't necessary because we've proven in the past that travel bans do not work.  It's not a medically sound decision but a political one.  The US isn't the only country doing this.

Also symptoms are reported to be mild and it remains to be seen if the vaccination is effective.  

 

Edited by Tweety

Beerman, BSN

Has 12 years experience. 1,241 Posts

19 minutes ago, toomuchbaloney said:

Exactly the situation when Trump instituted a travel ban...Covid was already here.

Same situation???  Right.

toomuchbaloney

Has 44 years experience. 8,356 Posts

1 hour ago, Beerman said:

Same situation???  Right.

Not at all the same situation.  Biden isn't currently lying to the American people about a novel pandemic while instituting a ban on travel nor is he dismantling federal leadership and public health responsibility and mechanisms when states need it most.  The only thing the same is that a travel ban is a single strategy to combat a pandemic.  Biden has other tools, Trump had lies and denial. 

subee, MSN, CRNA

Specializes in CRNA, Finally retired. Has 50 years experience. 3,679 Posts

20 hours ago, toomuchbaloney said:

Not at all the same situation.  Biden isn't currently lying to the American people about a novel pandemic while instituting a ban on travel nor is he dismantling federal leadership and public health responsibility and mechanisms when states need it most.  The only thing the same is that a travel ban is a single strategy to combat a pandemic.  Biden has other tools, Trump had lies and denial. 

Can't comment on the value of travel bans.  Seems more like a political decision to me.  Every country should behave as if Covid is real and ever-present and just assume that varients are already here.  Maybe island nations can stave off cases but with contiguous nations, how could that possibly work?  There was a good report on  NPR this morning on how Portugal is handling the pandemic now after suffering huge numbers of deaths in the first wave.  They are fully open, 100% triple vaxxed and wearing masks.  They decided to hand over the Covid migitation to a vice-admiral who but concentrated on building in efficiency.  So, they, not Israel will become the new benchmark for how Covid will behave in the future with all mitigation factors in full force.  I wait to see if the right wing news sources will pick up on that story.

toomuchbaloney

Has 44 years experience. 8,356 Posts

1 hour ago, subee said:

Can't comment on the value of travel bans.  Seems more like a political decision to me.  Every country should behave as if Covid is real and ever-present and just assume that varients are already here.  Maybe island nations can stave off cases but with contiguous nations, how could that possibly work?  There was a good report on  NPR this morning on how Portugal is handling the pandemic now after suffering huge numbers of deaths in the first wave.  They are fully open, 100% triple vaxxed and wearing masks.  They decided to hand over the Covid migitation to a vice-admiral who but concentrated on building in efficiency.  So, they, not Israel will become the new benchmark for how Covid will behave in the future with all mitigation factors in full force.  I wait to see if the right wing news sources will pick up on that story.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/11/29/portugal-has-re-imposed-covid-19-travel-restrictions-could-other-eu-nations-do-the-same

Quote

Portugal's choice is particularly remarkable: the country is one of the most vaccinated nations in the world, with over 88% of its population fully inoculated against COVID-19.

Maybe this is why they survived long enough to have the Waterworld survivors speaking their language...

I'm here all week.  There's a tip jar on the piano.

Beerman, BSN

Has 12 years experience. 1,241 Posts

1 hour ago, subee said:

Can't comment on the value of travel bans.  Seems more like a political decision to me.  Every country should behave as if Covid is real and ever-present and just assume that varients are already here.  Maybe island nations can stave off cases but with contiguous nations, how could that possibly work?  There was a good report on  NPR this morning on how Portugal is handling the pandemic now after suffering huge numbers of deaths in the first wave.  They are fully open, 100% triple vaxxed and wearing masks.  They decided to hand over the Covid migitation to a vice-admiral who but concentrated on building in efficiency.  So, they, not Israel will become the new benchmark for how Covid will behave in the future with all mitigation factors in full force.  I wait to see if the right wing news sources will pick up on that story.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/30/1059990245/portugal-may-be-the-model-to-follow-for-how-to-live-safely-with-the-coronavirus

Cclm, LPN

Specializes in LPN/Pallative Hospice. Has 4 years experience. 786 Posts

So there is this variant and there will be another. Is restrictions, lockouts and frequent injections the way we are going to live now? 

Biden isn't racist for closing the border but neither was Trump. However  it was Trump I could just hear the left blow horns. Really, just hold Biden accountable to the same scrutiny and criticism and the crazy conservatives wouldn't have much to say imo. However we all know that won't happen......

Beerman, BSN

Has 12 years experience. 1,241 Posts

Couldn't agree more with Morgan.

Trump's biggest mistake was putting Fauci out there, and listening to him.

"Morgan started his column by writing sardonically: “I’ve never heard Dr. Anthony Fauci’s cell phone voicemail greeting, but I imagine it says: ‘Yes, I’ll come on your show,’” adding, “For someone whose day job is supposed to be leading America’s scientific and medical war against Covid-19, he seems to have an incredible amount of spare time for self-promotional media interviews.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/piers-morgan-time-for-fauci-to-put-his-ego-away-and-shut-the-f-up?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro